Thursday, June 3, 2010

"The House That Built Me," Part Two - The House

We lived in the death trap, er, I mean The Trailer, for almost four years. A year and a half after we brought Blythe Anne home to The Trailer, we brought our first baby boy, Jonah home to it too.

I lovingly call it the death trap, because DUH, it was a death trap waiting to happen. I had an electrician on speed dial. I just knew that we were all going to die in the death trap, not that I'm all over dramatic or anything. Half of the trailer was on one breaker, and if you're not aware, THAT'S NOT GOOD. Had some wires BURN UP IN THE WALL. Of course, while Joey was at work, because that's the only way for these things to work. This is when I started to ask to buy a house. But all my dear husband could say is, but this place is PAID for! Ugh. Then, there was some kind of malfunction, and my drier caught on fire. But it wasn't really the drier, the wiring of the house did it. Asked again, please, lets buy a house, and still all I heard was, but this place is paid for! And the drier still works, so no harm! Except for every time this stupid crap happens, I have a mini heart attack, and it's taking years off of my life expectancy!

Then we flooded.

I know, right?! What's next people? Can it get any worse than having to move in with in laws while we fix the death trap?

Yes. Yes it can.

We fixed the flood damage, we moved back in. I come home one day, and my husband has taken a wall down. Because wires were popping in the wall. Oh my God, I quit! I told him I was buying a house, and if he would like to, he could move too or stay in the death trap.

And then I found The House. It was perfect, three bed rooms, two baths, 3 acres, and lots of trees (The Trailer had no trees.) We bought it, painted every room in the house just the way I wanted it (have you ever wondered how long it would take to paint a 1500 sq ft house by your self while going to school full time? Almost four weeks.) We ripped out all the carpet because Jonah has asthma. It was perfect.

Two months later we found out that we were going to have another baby. After squalling in the doctors office because, "I can't have another baby, I don't have rooooom for another one!" we were very excited about this new little person.

We found room for the little guy, and now Jonah and Peyton are roomies. They love it for now.

When Pey was 6 months old, Joey managed to catch the kitchen on fire while I left him unattended and unsupervised (another time we had to move in with the in laws while a house was being fixed). But out of the mess I got new counter tops, a new stove, a new over the stove microwave, a new pretty white sink, a whole new wall of cabinets and replaced all the cabinet knobs. I'll have to post pictures some time, they're great. Joey is no longer allowed to cook in the house any more. Or out side when I'm not home. Because ANOTHER time, he melted the siding on the house with the grill. Because he was unsupervised. Geez.

Mama cut out pictures of houses for years.
From 'Better Homes and Garden' magazines.
Plans were drawn, concrete poured,
and nail by nail and board by board
Daddy gave life to mama's dream.


Joey might not have built this house nail by nail, but he still gave life to my dream. I love our little house, and I want to stay here forever, with rocking chairs on the front porch when we're old and grey. I want this to be the safe place for my children to come home to. When I was a kid, we lived in so many different places, that when I think of my childhood home, I come up with nothing. There's no one place that was just Home. I want this to be Home.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I have three kids:
Blythe Anne, 8
Jonah, 7
Peyton, 4

My husband and I have been married for 6 years, and I spend my days being a stay at home mom while he's a driller on a land rig. So for six months of the year (he works a week on, a week off), I'm raising these kids by myself. I would write more, but I hear children screaming :)

Following Along

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs

Pageviews past week

TDC Before and After
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved